CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Check Engine

It happens to everyone. Yes, we all must experience car trouble. Whenever I see a “Check Engine” light, I shudder. It reminds me of the first car I ever purchased. It was a Subaru-Isuzu Station wagon and it lasted me a total of one month. The oil and anti-freeze lines crossed and I ended up with a cracked engine block. My warning: Check Engine. However, by the time it came on, it was too late to do anything. Scrap metal was the end result of that first major expense. I learned a ton about cars in the process, so I suppose I should be grateful.

That cursed light came on today in my current vehicle. Having recently changed the oil (Yes, I am very handy to have around. I change my own oil and everything.), I knew that couldn’t be the trouble. I checked the fluid levels. No problems there. My dad recommended taking the car to Auto Zone. They checked it for free. But isn’t it just my luck that the test would come back inconclusive? There were a few “could be” problems, but no definite reason for the warning light to be activated. Now my plans for tonight will consist of fixing the possible issues. Yep, I’ll be changing the fuel filter and one of the oxygen sensors…so exciting. It’s just how I wanted to spend my Saturday evening. (I’m being sarcastic.) Honestly, I enjoy tinkering with my car, but I’m rather tired from working all morning. Gratefully, I have a dad who is very adept at car repair. He’s taught me all I know and said he’d help me tonight. I’ll get some father/daughter bonding time. It's the only benefit of the entire evening. Usually, he tells me what I need to do, and then lets me do it on my own (with his supervision, of course.). I learn hands on, so it's a great way to gain knowledge about cars. It's cheaper too.

Friends, I hope your Saturday is more enjoyable than mine is going to be. Go have fun for me! I’ll be spending the night covering myself in car grease and pondering how much longer it will be until the vehicle self destructs.

2 comments:

Janint said...

I hope your car is 'feeling better' and of course you too :) When did you decide to start this blogathon? You are doing great!

Serket said...

I still have my first car, a Ford Focus, that I bought from my sister because she could no longer afford it. I think I have had it for 2 1/2 years. I know guys are supposed to know a lot about cars, but sadly I don't! I go to Jiffy Lube for frequent oil changes. Last week I had to have several repairs on my car and it was very expensive: the exhaust manifold replaced, a new EGR tube, a bolt in the head replaced, and also a new front engine mount. I'm glad I had a tax refund to help pay for it!