CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Love Canteen

Since Valentine's Day is just around the corner, I thought I'd lower my pride and write a topic on love (of sorts). I've never been particularly fond of “Single’s awareness day" and have always believed it was a holiday for the card companies...and candy. Since it is Major Bubble’s Anniversary, I decided to not bash the day but find some good in it. So Happy 6-month Anniversary Major…six months of what, I’m not sure! I’ll move on to my topic now.

Whenever I hear the word marriage, I stop listening. It’s a reflex that has been developing for several years. Today, I was caught off guard. While driving to my destination, I turned on the radio. They were in the middle of a story told by Glenn Rawson (he tells inspirational stories for several radio stations). He said the following, “I have heard it said that ‘men are from Mars and women are from Venus.’ Well, I don’t know about that. I think they both come from heaven, and I think that God makes them deliberately different so that the eternity they spend understanding each other and becoming one makes them one with God at the same time. Please don’t forget: Marriage is a man, a woman, and a God.” It was inspiring to me. Marriage is a beautiful thing. I believe that many people forget the third member in the marriage. If not, why would there be so many that fail?

Looking back at my Valentine’s Days past, I feel a little sheepish. I always held on to hope that some guy would come out of the woodwork and confess his undying love for me. What a hopeless romantic I am (and always will be)! I take that back…I’m a HOPEFUL romantic. No matter what I do, I always have a glimmer of it in the back of my heart. But I look at the past and see the disappointment that came yearly. I’ve never had that special someone to enjoy it with. Bitterness built up until Valentine’s became a superfluous holiday with strong commercial overtones (thanks Janel). I see now that I’ve been looking at it wrong. Even though I’m not dating anyone and this will indeed be another one of those lonely holidays, it doesn’t mean that I can’t show love in another way. There are family members and friends who I love dearly. Why can’t I show love to them, let them know how much I appreciate them? I admit, it would be much more enjoyable “with” someone. But…what are you going to do? Such is life.

Now, here are my feelings on the other aspect of Valentine’s. Why has it become commercial? I was at work the other day when I heard a radio ad. It said something like this: “Have you got something special for your loved one? Is your wife going to be mad that you didn’t get her that necklace she wanted? You don’t want to get in trouble for picking up flowers at the last minute. So, plan ahead and surprise your loved one by buying this.” I was disgusted. Do women really get angry with their husbands for not getting some expensive gift? I know, it happens all the time, but it’s horrible. What’s wrong with spending some time together, a hug, a kiss, a compliment, a phone call, a sincere note or e-mail? If I know the guy really cares for me, then it doesn’t matter about the rest of the stuff. I can go out and buy a necklace or a ring, but not a man who genuinely loves me (No, I’m not buying a mail-order groom. My sister already gave me a “grow-a-boyfriend” for my birthday). I wish people would be less ready to receive worldly items and more ready to give love. Isn’t that what this holiday is all about?

So go out and tell someone you love them. It doesn’t have to be romantic. Just give someone a hug and fill up his or her love canteen. Don’t be surprised if (on Valentine’s Day) I come up and give you a great big hug. If I don’t, you better give one to me!

3 comments:

Janel said...

Huzzah! You stole an idea right out of my head! But I think you're right. Valentine's Day does focus mainly on the romantic love, but it doesn't have to if you choose to make it different.

Ryan said...

In Mexico, St. Valentine's Day is called Día del Amor y la Amistad, which means "Love and Friendship Day." Maybe we should lobby to change it here?

Serket said...

I liked your last part about doing something out of love on Valentine's Day and not because you are expected to.