CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 7, 2008

And the Winner is. . .

Nobody! However, I’d like to thank those of you who participated in this weeks rousing edition of “Guess the Topic of the Poem”. Unfortunately, none of the answers were correct, though they easily could have been. My poem can relate to many areas of life, but as I said in the last blog, I only had one event in mind. Now let me share that inspirational incident with you!

This poem wasn’t about any specific person, love, change, waiting for a traffic light (Jewelsp), or a blind date. It was (I kid you not) in regards to a FedEx Delivery. Yes, I was waiting for a package.

Thursday night I received a call from my mom. She informed me that they had received a FedEx notice on their door. You know the form that says “We tried to deliver at ____ time on ____day but you were not home. We will try to deliver again on ____ day or you can pick it up after ____time at the nearest FedEx building located in ______, a city near you.” She had deduced that it was a package for me (I upgraded my cell phone…for FREE! Ah YEAH!) But she wouldn’t be home Friday afternoon because she had errands to run. Seeing as the package was for me, I was more than willing to “house-sit”. And so I began waiting…and waiting…continually…over the next several hours. I began singing my irritation out loud (yes, singing, to myself) and the poem was born. My mom came home and we...continued waiting. Finally I heard the screeching brakes of a truck; music to my ears, ironically enough. My package had arrived! I watched from the window in anticipation as the delivery guy drove up to our house, stopped, and then left. He never attempted to drop off the package. “WHAT THE FLIP?” Annoyed, I decided to go home to finish my laundry. My mom called FedEx later and found out they’d switched North and East on my address. To add to the frustration, we would now be required to go pick up the package from headquarters. [Irritated snort]

There you have it, friends. The inspiration to my poem: FedEx and their oh-so-reliable service. Okay, I’m sorry. FedEx is great! I know a lot of their delivery personnel and they are very nice people. I really should be irritated with my phone company for putting the wrong address information on said package. But, you see, when I checked the online confirmation, the address was correct. [Overdramatic eye roll + exasperated sigh] But hey, let’s look at the bright side. At least I got two blogs out of the experience.

8 comments:

Tawni said...

Lol, I knew it had to be something I couldn't ever guess because you're just creative like that! How very annoying to watch the delivery guy drive away after waiting for several hours!

Major Bubbles said...

What was worst, watching the package drive away, or watching the delivery guy drive away? I mean, does one honestly wait for the package, or the delivery person?
Bad joke aside, well done! Thoroughly enjoyed guessing in my head (though I can assure you that I never reached the real source)

Janint said...

You little rascal!

Lanae said...

I finally knew the answer and wasn't caught off guard. I hope you keep this type writing up, because it was really entertaining.

Annie said...

It was definitely worse watching the package drive away. The delivery guy was way too old for me...we're talking the Grandpa of FedEx. Seriously, free phone vs old man? Free phone ALL the way! (And yes, that was a bad joke.)

I'd love to write more of these, but we'll see how inspiration strikes. It's been few and far between as of late.

Annica said...

I wish I could have heard you sing it.... :-)

Alisha said...

I am so sorry I didn't see your 2 posts until today! However, since I already knew the answer... ;)

You are extremely talented and I love your poem! Great job! I <3 ya!

Serket said...

For Christas I order some books and DVDs from Amazon (later than I should have) and they were to be delivered to my apartment by UPS. It was a very frustrating experience with missed notes and visits to their headquarters. Eventually my dad gave me the idea to have one of my neighbors receive the packages and the last one came on Christmas Eve! :-)

At first my guess was that it had something to do with a delivery to work, but then some the details in the poem convinced me that was wrong.